Additional Memory Channel
Intel has expanded the amount of memory available with the addition of a fourth memory channel per processor in quad-channel configurations. Each Xeon E5-2600
processor can be configured with 4, 8 or 12 memory modules depending upon the specific server platform.
Supported Memory Types
The Xeon E5-2600 processor supports the following types of DDR3 and DDR3L (Low Voltage) memory:
- Unbuffered ECC DIMMs (ECC UDIMMs)
- Registered DIMMs (RDIMMs)
- Load-Reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs)
1. Support of specific memory module types and speeds can vary by server platforms.
2. Memory types cannot be mixed.
Xeon E5-2600 Memory Architecture
- Up to three DIMMs per channel.
- Four channels per processor.
- Up to 12 DIMMs per socket.
- Unlike Quad-Rank DIMMs, faster LRDIMMs can be used to fill all sockets (up to 12 LRDIMMs per processor on higher end servers).
Total Memory Capacity
- Maximum memory is 768GB with twelve 32GB LRDIMM modules per processor on two-way servers.
- Maximum memory is 384GB with 16 GB Dual Rank RDIMMs.
- High-performance models of the Xeon E5-2600 processor support memory speeds of up to 1600 MHz in configurations of up to two DIMMs per channel at 1.5V.
- The Xeon E5-2600 processor supports memory speeds of 1333MHz in
configurations of up two DIMMs per channel at 1.5V or 1.35V.
Quad-channel Memory Controller
The improved, quad-channel memory architecture deploys a number of memory-reliability enhancements including memory mirroring, Single Device Data Correction (SDDC), memory lockstep, failed DIMM isolation, memory thermal throttling and rank sparing.